BLOG BUDDIES

October 7, 2015

Spooky Fun !

This month at Unruly Paper Arts our theme is "Open Theme". Halloween is right around the corner and I love decorating so I thought I would make something for my front porch. I used this graphic on another project awhile back and thought it would be perfect addition to my decor. I used an 8.5" x 11" canvas for this project, so here we go !
My canvas was first given a blotchy coat of white gesso... I wanted it to be chunky and worn looking. Next I used a splatter stamp for background texture effect with Brushed Corduroy & Tea Dye Distressed Inks.  Using Ideology Ransom Alphabet mask I then applied different shades of Lindy's Stamp Gang mists over the stencil. Using Black Soot I stamped a few spider webs here and there. Next up is my house and blue prints. My house image was generously provided by Graphics Fairy



...blueprints and all ! I distressed the blue prints and house with Walnut Stain DI then applied the graphics with Glue and Seal and allowed to dry completely.
For my sign I simply ripped a piece of chipboard,  and glued my "Don't Let The Price Scare You" sentiment on top. Distressed the entire top with Black Soot and Walnut Stain and crumpled the edges then attached to canvas. 
For my key and safety pin I took 1 pt vinegar and 2 pts bleach allowed the key to be fully submerged. I left over nite... outside because it had a pretty potent smell and in the morning I had a perfectly rusted key and safety pin to attach it. 
Ok for the fun part... I love working with beeswax and I haven't in quite awhile. I allowed it to melt a bit longer than normal because I wanted it to discolor a bit. I then just brushed over the entire canvas, using my heat gun to move the wax around and allow chunky areas. Then I brushed over the top of the canvas which provided the nice long drips. Once it dried it turned a beautiful warm caramel color which I love. 

This will now be nailed to a wooden stake and stuck in a pot on my front porch for a Halloween decoration...Hope this has inspired you and have a  BOO-tiful Halloween !

No comments:

art (ärt) noun - supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty.