BLOG BUDDIES

November 14, 2015

The Book of Love .. for Rhedds Creative Spirit

Hi everyone... it's my turn to inspire you with a tutorial for this months Mid-Month @ Rhedds Creative Spirit. I have chosen to create an altered book frame which is a Christmas present for my mother. The photos are of her beautiful grandparents.

This process is very easy but a bit long, so for your pleasure I have made a SNAPGUIDE tutorial below for a step x step process of the project. 

I purchased the book at a thrift store for $1.00. Here is what the book looked like at the beginning. 
And the supplies that I recommend are ...

X-acto Knife
Mod Podge ... I used handmade... 1/2 water + 1/2 regular white glue mixed well
Adhesive
Distressed Inks
Embellishments
Flowers
Inka Gold
Black gesso
Lindys Sprays... but not necessary
The photo is actually black and white but I distressed over it with Vintage Photo DI to compliment the book frame. 
Here is a closeup of the top of the book... nice and vintage. The glue mixture allowed me to mold and wrinkle the pages to achieve the look I was going for. 
Flowers were added for that bit of whimsy and give it a more delicate look. 
Since this is "The Book of Love" I thought it only fitting that I cut a little niche and place my Prima Heart all crackled and distressed in that area. Added more flowers for interest. The bookmark is velvet ribbon with charm attached. 
And there you go... easy peasy, but messy... my kind of project. I hope I have inspired you to go and re-purpose an old book. So many things you can add and change around. My next project is for a friend of mine that is a new grandma... I'm using an old children's storybook for the foundation to place her beautiful grandbaby's photo...

And now sit back and enjoy the Snapguide tutorial... for more tutorials visit my Snapguide webpage HERE. 

Check out How to Create Altered Book Frame by Toni Burks-Grijalva on Snapguide.

1 comment:

Sandra Wright. said...

I just love how you have altered the book in to such a gorgeous frame...love the techniques,so effective.
Thank you for such a fab tutorial for Rhedd's blog...xx

art (ärt) noun - supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty.